The IELTS Test is a test that assesses your English language skills. If you wish to study or work in a foreign country where English is the primary language of communication and then you should show that you are proficient in the language by taking up the test.
The IELTS exam mainly focuses on listening, reading, writing and speaking through two test formats – IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training.
IELTS Academic is taken up for pursuing under graduation and post graduation abroad or for professionals such as Medical Doctors, nurses etc who want to study abroad.IELTS General Training is taken by people who want to gain work experience or for immigration purposes.
The test is owned by Cambridge and British council and IDP are official partners.It uses a 9 band scale and score more than 6 is considered good.The Good Wing offers good coaching classes for IELTS as they have well experienced professionals and tutors.
Why take IELTS
- To check the accuracy of your English Language level.
- It is recognized worldwide.
- It is accepted as evidence of English language proficiency by 10,000 organizations in more than 140 countries.
- IELTS is accepted by over 900 institutions Australia.
- IELTS is accepted by over 3,000 institutions in USA.
- It is accepted by the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and by universities and colleges across Canada
- It is recognized by institutions in New Zealand, Germany, UK, USA, Canada, Ireland, Australia and many other countries.
- IELTS is the world’s most recognized test for higher education and global migration. To see full list of universities that accept your IELTS score, visit https://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/
It prepares you for real life situations, whether it is to talk to your international colleagues in school or your clients at work.
- The IELTS examiners will ensure an accurate assessment by applying strict criteria to each test which means the result will precisely reflect your English language level.
- IELTS covers both British English and American English so if you wish to study in UK or US or any other English speaking country, IELTS gives you a chance to practice different native English accents.
- Over 20 million IELTS tests taken in 2016.
- There are over 1,100 British Council test centers worldwide.
- The British Council offers a variety of scholarships for those who get high scores in IELTS test. These scholarships can be used for study in all the universities which requires IELTS.
Types of IELTS
There are five types of the IELTS based on the country, purpose and profession.
The Academic version is intended for those who wish to study under graduation and post graduation abroad and for professionals such as Medical Doctors, people who work in a pharmaceutical and all the Nurses who wish to study or practice in an English-speaking country.
The General Training version is intended for those planning to undertake non-academic training that is, who migrate to an English speaking country to gain work experience or for immigration purposes. All candidates must complete four Modules – Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking.
We have separate IELTS test for the people who choose UK for both academic and work purposes. If you are applying for TIER 1 and TIER 2 visas for UK, then you have to take this test.
As per UK, you have to take up UKVI IELTS Academic and General. They are designed to meet certain administrative requirements which are specified by the UK home office. The test is same as normal IELTS.
The main difference is in the journey of the candidate on the test day. The test report forms will be different to show that it is an UK visa session.
UKVI IELTS Academic
UKVI IELTS Academic is a test for those who want to study UG or PG levels and for those who are seeking professional registration in UK.
UKVI IELTS General
UKVI IELTS General is a test for those who want to migrate to UK and those who wish to train or study below degree level.
UKVI IELTS Life Skills
IELTS Life Skills is a new test which is recently approved by UKVI as a Secure English Language Test (SELT). This test is for those people who should prove their speaking and listening skills at Level A1, A2 or B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
IELTS Life skills A1 is a test for those candidates who should prove their speaking and listening skills as a part of their application to UK visas and immigration for ‘family of a settled person’ visa.
IELTS Life skills A2 is a test for those candidates who should prove their speaking and listening skills as a part of their application to UK visas and immigration for ‘extension to family or partner visa’.
IELTS Life skills B1 is a test for those candidates who wish to immigrate for indefinite leave to remain there or to become a citizen.
All candidates must complete four Modules – Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. IELTS scores are given from “Band 1” (“non-user”) to “Band 9” (“expert user”). Band scores are used for each language sub-skill: Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking. The validity period of this Score card is 2 years. The duration of the test is 2 hours and 50 minutes.
Purpose of the test
The main purpose of IELTS test is
- To improve English speaking and listening skills.
- To understand specific factual information.
- To recognize attitudes, opinions and purpose of a speaker.
- To understand the inferences and implied meaning.
- To follow to development of an argument.
- To organize the ideas.
- To know the accuracy and range of grammar and vocabulary.
- To know the ability to communicate well about the opinions and information on daily life conversations by answering few questions.
- To know the ability to express and justify your opinions.
- To communicate, discuss and speculate about the issues.